MegaScenery Northern California New Version

kiwiflyer

MegaScenery Northern California New Version

Post by kiwiflyer » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:54 pm

Now that MegaScenery has released a new version of their Northern California, will there be a patch to fix the texture blending with KSFO? Though the old fix helps, it really doesn't match the new textures.
Thanks for an awesome scenery (as are all the others)... The combination with the Megascenery makes this a real winner for me and I'm hoping that there will be a patch to allow it to look as perfect as it did with the previous version
Chuckers

New Northern California MegaScenery and Fly Tampa's KSFO

Post by Chuckers » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:32 pm

I haven't installed the MegaScenery update files provided with the KSFO scenery, because they don't match up with the new textures. However, the airport and the ocean around it appear to be elevated. Is there a fix for this? I appreciate your prompt answer.

Chuckers
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:13 pm

I honestly do not know yet because I have no info of what they changed in their Mega Scenery.
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:07 pm

I'm puzzeled to how you guys can even use that product. Its Blur City & slow loading times. UGH. Get UT USA.
Chuckers

Post by Chuckers » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:27 pm

I'm surprised that you are actually bashing Mega Scenery; especially, due to FlyTampa's endorsement that your scenery works with that product (including the pictures demonstrating how real it looks). The airports that you recreate are beautifully done. But, there is such a thing as truth in advertising, that you need to consider. While, I concede that MegaScenery does have long loading times and is blurry at low altitudes, it looks very realistic above 3,500. And, the new version is from aerial photographs; not satelight imagery. In a day or so. I will post an image of how FlyTampa's KSFO looks with the new NC MegaScenery, and maybe you can provide advice on what to do, or create an update to your MegaScenery patch.

As for UT USA, I'm all ears. I do not know what this product is, and would appreciate some enlightenment.

Thank you for your prompt responses. I appreciate any information and/or help you can provide.

Chuckers
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Our airport sceneries have indeed been developed to work well with the Mega scenery product, in some cases we went to extensive lengths in order to achieve this.

The problem now is that the good folks at Mega Scenery came out with a new verison of their product which in part seems to not work so well with the airports.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for compatibility between FS Addons, however I have a problem when first we ensure that our airport product works with "V1" of the Mega Scenery, then over a year later "V2" is released and the manufacturer in question more or less states that all incompatibilities need to be addressed by other developers (us in this case). I have no problem when Microsoft does that, releases a new FS version and we the addon developers are supposed to fix and rework our products, we expect that. However when it comes to other Addons it seems to me that it is somewhat the responsibility of the developers of the latest releases to ensure compatibility with other Addons that have been available prior. Not only because it is much easier to implement compatibiliy during the development cycle by testing it with other available Addons, but also because it is a matter or courtesy to other developers.

Does that mean I am not looking into the issues and if they can be fixed? No, I am looking into it. Can I promise that there will be a fix? No, because I don't even know what causes the issues yet.
Chuckers

Post by Chuckers » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:41 am

Martin,

As an experiment, I installed the MegaScenery files provided with the FlyTampa KSFO. Keep in mind that I have been using the Northern California new version files. The MegaScenery files supplied with the FlyTampa scenery do not match the new Northern California scenery at all. (The new MegaScenery files are certainly more clear and detailed). However, in looking at the new MegaScenery files, it appears that the new Northern California MegaScenery and FlyTampa's KSFO fit perfectly together. The highway blends perfectly, etc.

The only problem that exists is that there is an elevation change in the water around the airport that is definitely not accurate. It appears that the airport, and the ocean immediately around it, is elevated above the normal water level a little. I would like to show this to you, but I do not know how to make a screenshot. Please let me know the keystrokes to make a screenshot (I know it's very simple), and I will show you what it looks like. Then, it may be an easy fix that you can provide me guidance to correct.

I'm sorry that it's taken me over a week to respond to your last message; however, I have been checking out the FlyTampa KSFO and MegaScenery to see exactly what the problem was. Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Sincerely,

Chuckers
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Correct, the old replacement textures provided in the KSFO mega ZIP don't match. Their main goal was to get rid of the approach light pier that was painted in the water so thats not really a big deal.

The elevation maybe a problem. Chaging the elevation of an airport from its default value is a major issue in FS since default Microsoft files need to be replaced. Are you using a max vertex setting above the default value 19?
Chuckers

Post by Chuckers » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:43 pm

As far as I can tell, I am using the default value of 19. Truthfully, I do not know how to set the max vertex setting. So, I must assume that the default value is being used.

I unchecked the flyTampa KSFO scenery in flight simulator and reloaded flight simulator with the Northern California MegaScenery running to see what it looked like. I noticed that the area that appears elevated when the flyTampa KSFO is loaded is pretty much filled with land by the default flight simulator scenery. As such, it appears that this is probably a problem that cannot be fixed by me, personally.

As an aside, while the elevation appearance is inaccurate when the flyTampa KSFO is loaded, it is not that big of a thing. However, if there was an easy fix for it, that would be a great thing.

Again, if you'd like to see what I'm talking about, please let me know how to create a screenshot, and I will do so and post it in this forum.

Thanks for your prompt responses!
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:43 am

There are 2 flatten files in the Fly-SanFra/scenery folder. flatten_airport and flatten_water.bgl. Take out the later and see if it helps, you could also take out flatten_airport but that might lead to problems.
Chuckers

Post by Chuckers » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:55 pm

OK, I removed the flatten_water.bgl file and the elevated water still appeared around the outside border of the airport. I then removed the flatten_airport.bgl file, and the elevated water disappeared. What type problems might be encountered by removing the flatten_airport file? I'm curious as to what I may encounter by doing this. Thanks for your help.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:19 am

It may cause problems such as flickering ground texture, floating or sunken objects at the airport etc. It may also do no harm at all.
Chuckers

Post by Chuckers » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:26 am

Thanks for the info! I've flown and taxied around KSFO after removing both files and have not experienced any flickering ground texture or floating or sunken objects. I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything continues to work fine. Thanks again for your assistance.

Chuckers