Board index » FlyTampa » FlyTampa-Amsterdam

emilios[flytampa] (Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:15 pm)

Site Admin | Posts: 744 | Location: London, UK
A comprehensive test with latest version of P3D.

I m not metioning FPS counts as the scenery is pretty fast in all tests.

You will see that although settings are quite high, VAS is managed well, allowing at least 1.5-1.6GB of free memory (with HD textures installed). Stock airport isn't much better either, perhaps because of high scenery settings. Also note that using a photo-real image, like we do, will wipe out any terrain data that keep eating away at memory, especially in a data-dense area like AMS. So while there's a lot of custom model/texture data coming from FT-AMS, a good amount of terrain data is being 'deleted' as well.

For FSX, VAS values are worse, and more clearly reflect which texture pack is installed, while in P3D memory is managed batter. Still however, in FSX with LITETEX installed, and default FT-configurator settings, FSX gives you a maximum VAS value of 2.4GB, leaving almost 1.6GB memory load free. Tweaking the settings even more (from FT-configurator or reducing autogen a notch) can give you >1.8GB worth of free memory.

That's nothing new to me really, just wanted to post results from latest P3D version too, which show pretty much the same things that I've seen while testing. I believe this amount of 'free' memory is by no means restricting.

P3D v3.4.18.19475

Add-ons: FTX Trees

Settings: screenshots at end of post

min. VAS = minimum VAS observed (ie when booting sim at the apron)
max. VAS = maximum VAS observed while slewing around letting everything load and rapidly changing views
steady VAS = VAS at steady state after everything (ie models/surroundings/autogen) has been loaded

1. Default test
Schiphol: Default airport
Amsterdam scenery: Default

Aircraft: Beech Baron 58 Paint2 (stock)

min. VAS = 2.035GB
max. VAS = 2.390GB
steady VAS = 2.28GB

2. FT (LITETEX) test
Schiphol: FT-AMS
Amsterdam scenery: FT-AMS

Textures: LITETEX (all selected)
FT-Configurator settings: default settings shipping with installer

min. VAS = 2.128GB
max. VAS = 2.410GB
steady VAS = 2.25GB

3. FT-AMS default test

Textures: Default textures shipping with installer

min. VAS = 2.188GB
max. VAS = 2.42GB
steady VAS = 2.35GB

4. HITEX test

Textures: HITEX (all selected)

min.VAS = 2.21GB
max.VAS = 2.67GB
steady VAS = 2.45GB

Hardware:

i5-2500K @3.3GHz
nVIDIA GTX980Ti
24GB RAM
Samsung SSD 1TB
3440x1440 resolution

P3D Settings:

graphics.jpg
graphics.jpg (449.39 KiB) Viewed 7614 times

scenery.jpg
scenery.jpg (381.47 KiB) Viewed 7614 times

lighting.jpg
lighting.jpg (360.79 KiB) Viewed 7614 times

weather.jpg
weather.jpg (318.66 KiB) Viewed 7614 times

traffic.jpg
traffic.jpg (362.98 KiB) Viewed 7614 times

Hey Emilios,

great work on running these tests!
for reference could you please add what the CPU+GPU combination is you used?
- also i would like to add, that using the settings above can by no means guarantee a good experience on your machine+configuration, its just meant to show that is is actually working fine VAS-wise (which is independent of hardware).

I'm using a 2 year old i5+7870, and by customizing my settings to my setup (starting at minimal, working up from there), i'm still able to run this beauty with workable frames (~24fps)

Niels.
 emilios[flytampa] (Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 pm)

I've added hardware specs above.
agree that scenery settings can be a bit too much, but that's not too important at the moment, as long as they are kept identical across tests.

Emilios how do I raise a support ticket cause I've emailed support and also raise a forum post and no one been replying
 emilios[flytampa] (Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 pm)

donkey20048 wrote:Emilios how do I raise a support ticket cause I've emailed support and also raise a forum post and no one been replying

sorry for the delay just replied to your post

Hello Emilios

I think that I have stated this results also in my earlier reports on VAS usage, but the problem lies
more in the fact that everybody want to load their whole sim with eyecandy stuff at highest
values , but don't what to put a slider a bit down , or temporarely disable an addon when when flying in or out
of amsterdam.

when you load orbx LC + Vector , AS2016 + Asca + PMDG 737-777 + Eham and NL 2000
all together it will go wrong.

but in flight community the knowlodge of IT and windows 32 bit limtations has not reached a high level

and because most people think that you can avoid OOM with a Highly OC CPU and 32 GB of memory
and a graphic cards of 6GB , it will be hard to make any airport without this problems until we reach
the 64 BIT state.

anyway this airport is a great piece of work, and hope we see a new installer v1.1 soon will all reported
fixes inside.

rgds.

Sydney1962 wrote:Hello Emilios

I think that I have stated this results also in my earlier reports on VAS usage, but the problem lies
more in the fact that everybody want to load their whole sim with eyecandy stuff at highest
values , but don't what to put a slider a bit down , or temporarely disable an addon when when flying in or out
of amsterdam.

when you load orbx LC + Vector , AS2016 + Asca + PMDG 737-777 + Eham and NL 2000
all together it will go wrong.

rgds.

Hey Sydney1962,
I can both agree and disagree with your assessment.
True some may suffer more than others based upon their setups. Then there are some who have identical systems but have yet to realized that the high VAS high is not a result of say, FT AMS, but another scenery they may have installed that is causing a leak (what I like to call a misappropriation of memory). I for one know that they are out there because I had that problem when bring in a FSX scenery into P3D.

Anyways, running AMS successfully is truly a user preference. I can share that I have turned nothing down in the sim. And I have activated everything in FT AMS. (disclosure again with caution - i.e not maxing all settings)

System spec
i7-4790K 8mb cache, MSI GTX980Ti, 16 MB RAM (just for the stuff I do outside of FLtSim), WD 4TB HDD (P3D) 480 GB SSD C drive,

I have All active (554 active scenery as seen in my configuration tool)
FTX Global, Vector, OPLC, Regions plus scenery, AS16+ASCA, REX4+Soft Clouds, UT2 (W2016 schedules), FSGlobal terrain, Ai-ships, REX-HD Airports, FT,FB,FSDG, Taxi2Gate, FSDT UK2000, etc, etc, PMDG 737/777, Ifly 747, Aerosoft Airbus, Majestic Dash, Aerosim/TDS 787, Carendo, A2A, GSX, etc etc,

All I can say is mind what you put into your sim.......I do and FT always shines...
Good luck all

What Kind of mystery sim Installation are you running?

I can´t get to taxi my plane on EHAM, with JUST Active Sky Next, Rex textures at 1024, Zero AI traffic and autogen set to normal with the 747-400 V3 from PMDG.

This addon scenery is killing me....never had a scenery perform as bad with VAS as this one!

Eraser74 wrote:What Kind of mystery sim Installation are you running?

I can´t get to taxi my plane on EHAM, with JUST Active Sky Next, Rex textures at 1024, Zero AI traffic and autogen set to normal with the 747-400 V3 from PMDG.

This addon scenery is killing me....never had a scenery perform as bad with VAS as this one!

Ok. There are a or may be a few things that are happening with your sim and for that matter all of our sims.

before I get into it my CPU is i7-4790K stock is 4ghz but its OC at 4.4 Ghz with 8mb Cache (This prevents my textures from reloading while I pan eating up valuable VAS).

My GPU is MSI GTX980Ti 6 GB

1. Loading of Textures that are perhaps some what taxing to the latest and greatest P3Dv3.
I call these perhaps legacy techniques used by developers which causes either the processors to work harder or the GPU. Case and point, Some Carenado Aircraft tend to really get those fans humming. In my flight simming I had a similar fan activity when using REX sky Textures. For this reason I've gone to a freeware and now onto another company that has seemed to really find the sweet spot - Toga Product ENVTEX.

2. You should have, In fact I implore that you have a look at Avsim P3D guide by Rob Ainscough.
http://www.avsim.com/files/file/87-avsi ... r3d-guide/

This would give you a thorough understanding on how the settings within P3D are powered by the GPU or the CPU and/or Both. With this you'll be better armed with knowing how to adjust for your CPU and GPU to achieve the most accommodating performance level for your setup with addons.

Rob goes into further details with respect to multiple tweaks that could be used. I for one have found true value in two of them for the P3D Cfg. If I may I'll only ref them here

[GRAPHICS]
* ENABLE_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION=1
and

[DISPLAY]
*MaintainSystemCopyOfDeviceTextures =0

Get on Avsim and check this out.
At a point of conformation , I purposely left them out to see what would happen at EHAM and to my surprise I Oom on departure. This never happen to me here before.
(Note: I have been using these tweaks far before EHAM was released. I truly saw a difference across all of my Payware scenery and Payware aircraft especially on long Hauls. However , I would be remiss if I did not share that this will not bring any glory to EGLL with AI traffic, nor LAX, JFK area and sometimes Toronto with Vector (CYYZ). At some point you will just need to save and restart your sim.

Hope you can find something of use here.

Hey gang,
In addition to the above I want to give you an update on my latest find:

Regarding the Nvidia Drivers, I can confirm that all of the 37X.XX drivers have a memory leak issue for P3Dv3 and perhaps FSX using 980Ti and lower cards. My test were conclusive after running 376.33 (somehow identifying itself as 376.55 in my system) driver and countless other 37X.XX series drivers.

Using this as the environment test-

PMDG 747v2
574 active scenery areas with P3D (nothing deactivated)
REX and ENTEX
AS16 +ASCA
FLytampa CYYZ with all features active and including interior modelling of the terminals
Ultimate Traffic 2 turned off for all fairness of this test to yelled the VAS usage in a slightly more controlled environment.
REX HD Airports
Vector
FTX Global
FTXEU
OPLC EU and NA
FSGlobal mesh (P3dv3)
Chaseplane + FSPackages offerings

,here is what I found:

Under 376.33 My VAS was unstable. Loading into the sim at CYYZ with 650MB remaining. It reduced to 444MB by time of push back (within 8 mins)

On taxi, it dropped to 180MB and then 120MB fluctuating vicariously between the two values toying with my emotions. Unfortunately, and unexpectedly It relegated to an OoM on rotation.

Under 361.43 VAS is very stable. Loading in at 890MB holding at CYYZ gate. Subsequently reducing to 650 on Taxing. Fluctuated slightly down to 550 MB but quickly returned to 630MB at rotation and continued to elevate to 730MB. After 20 miles from CYYZ VAS ameliorated beyond 800MB and looked to be in favour of an uninterrupted flight to AMS.

In retrospect; I would also be remiss failing to share that on my way from Amsterdam yesterday under 376.33, I never recovered my VAS over the ocean as it did in the past with a better driver...namely the 361.43.

I close by sharing that I was able to land at AMS with traffic off until on final, where I turned it back on to see traffic and only dispelling about 30MB of VAS by conducting in this manner.
(Note: I crossed the English Channel with 825MB VAS remaining).

I can't speak for drivers on cards above 980Ti like that of the GTX10XX series. But as I laid out above, this is what I can tell you has been the golden bullet for me based upon my specs and experience...thus far (Nvidia Driver 361.43)

Cheers family

Here's a quick and dirty vid I did leaving EHAM in the PMDG 747v3 and returning in the NGX...after flying into and out of a few other goodies:)
Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79jmjqijsw