P3Dv4.5 ground elevation

EnQ

P3Dv4.5 ground elevation

Post by EnQ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm

I didn't use P3D + EHAM for a while and only now notice that I cannot spawn anywhere on the airport as the aircraft is always sunk below ground: From a 737 cockpit I can see the terminal undergrounds with strange rendering artifacts, outside view reveals that only the upper half of the fuselage peaks out. I tried what was already posted regarding this and other issues with P3Dv4.4+ on other threads but nothing that was previously mentioned work for me:
  • the FlyTampa Amsterdam LC scenery has a higher priority position index than the airport scenery (just below each other, airport on top of LC)
  • moving the BGL from world\scenery to BASE\scenery did not help
  • I do not have Orbx TrueEarth Netherlands installed
  • all airport scenery is on top of Orbx, Orbx is on top of default scenery
What I do have installed and could have an effect on EHAM:
  • Orbx Global Base + OpenLC Europe + Vector
  • FS Global Ultimate terrain mesh (the old FSX/P3Dv3 version; no AFM as it was unavailable for P3D)
  • FSAerodata
P3D client & content were updated to version 4.5, P3D scenery is still at 4.0 as it is usually not required to be updated. Since other users reported having the same issue having performed a full clean installation of Prepar3D 4.4 I assume the P3D default scenery shouldn't be the issue (should have been fully replaced by FSGUX and Orbx anyway). There is no Orbx Vector elevation correction for EHAM (neither enabled nor available).

I know that Amsterdam airport is below sea level (-11ft according to charts) which might be the root cause of this issue; maybe something changed in P3Dv4.4 and now forces everything to a minimum position of 0m MSL? This would roughly match how far the 737 is sunk below ground. I also tried to enable bathymetry without effect.

Is there anything I missed or was anybody able to compile a BGL that fixes these issues?

Simply "slewing" the plane upwards is no option as it also flings the aircraft forward...

I also checked several other payware sceneries but FlyTampa Amsterdam appears to be the only one exhibiting this issue.
Attachments
2019-11-10_19-3-8-692.png
2019-11-10_19-3-8-692.png (3.41 MiB) Viewed 560 times
2019-11-10_19-2-50-218.png
2019-11-10_19-2-50-218.png (2.67 MiB) Viewed 560 times
avi8tor

Re: P3Dv4.5 ground elevation

Post by avi8tor » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:21 am

I would be curious about a response on this issue as I am also facing this issue.
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:24 am

Can you make sure that your scenery entries are like below

1. FlyTampa-Amsterdam
2. FlyTampa-Amsterdam_LC
EnQ

Post by EnQ » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 am

They are in that order. I also tried the opposite order and also creating a new scenery entry just holding the "dummy" BGL (which presumably contains an elevation fix), both as installed locally and also replaced by the version from one of the other threads of this forum. I then tried different positions in my scenery library for that as well (at bottom, just above default terrain, above FSGlobal Mesh, above Orbx, just under EHAM, just above EHAM, in between and on the very top). Nothing had any effect so far. :(
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:18 am

Any luck here or still stuck?
I noticed you mentioned it previously worked fine, any idea what was installed in the meantime? (the P3D update wouldnt affect elevation)

Where are the FT-AMS folders installed, internally into P3D/FlyTampa ?
EnQ

Post by EnQ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:43 am

Unfortunately still stuck. If I remember correctly, Amsterdam was one of the first sceneries I installed to P3D v4 when v4 was released, so almost everything must have been installed afterwards (and I have a very large collection of addons for P3D installed). Installed is EHAM v1.1, directly into <P3D>/FlyTampa/Amsterdam (+ Amsterdam_LC). I don't think I checked all FlyTampa sceneries since I noticed the issue but those that I did check (such as EKCH) did not show any issues, just EHAM.

I just noticed comments about the universal installer which has been around since March (I somehow missed the news) and will give it a try next week in case it does anything different compared to the old installer + patches.

Do you know of any way to identify whatever BGL file/addon is causing the elevation issue, is there any tool? (Little Navmap listed some BGLs for EHAM but only default scenery and FlyTampa, so that was no help in figuring out what's wrong) I somehow doubt that the old FSPilot's mesh would cause an issue unless interpretation was changed in v4.4/v4.5 as it was installed all the time and EHAM has worked in P3Dv3 and early versions of v4.