Landclass and/or vector conflicts - FTX OpenLC EU & Vector

Rhett

Landclass and/or vector conflicts - FTX OpenLC EU & Vector

Post by Rhett » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi there,

1stly - thank you for your truly superb scenery! I love flying into, out of and around your airports - can't wait to purchase more . . .

I have been battling to resolve a problem with some 3rd party addon scenery - particularly airports on the coast. I think that the problem started when ORBX converted to their new "unified" landclass lookup system - however I am not 100% sure and cannot get any satisfactory answers from ORBX on this issue.

A good example of the problem I have occurs with Corfu. If I do nothing (i.e. leave all the CORFU scenery files in the Corfu_LC scenery folder active), then I see the following "corruption" or "loss" of the mainland coastline detail to the east of the CORFU island. There are no problems on the actual island - but only problems across the water near the airport scenery area!

The following shows a portion of the coastline east of the island (i.e. on mainland) - where the vector detail has been lost due to the CORFU_LC scenery:
20160807185254_1.jpg
20160807185254_1.jpg (362.49 KiB) Viewed 12838 times
I have managed to pin point the specific Corfu scenery file causing the problem:
"cvx_corfu_island.bgl" in "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\FlyTampa\Corfu_LC\scenery"

If I turn off this bgl file - then the coastline vector detail is restored as can be seen below:
20160807185021_1.jpg
20160807185021_1.jpg (369.12 KiB) Viewed 12838 times
However, I then discovered that with this file deactivated, the buildings on the left hand side of the runway 35 approach were floating ! Perhaps there are other issues, but I have not noticed them yet.

Does anyone know what in the "C:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\FlyTampa\Corfu_LC\scenery\cvx_corfu_island.bgl" file is causing this problem and is there anyway to solve it while not losing the important scenery information required to make Corfu itself appear 100% as intended? I do not want to deactivate the entire Corfu_LC scenery folder as there are some important mesh, traffic, etc. .bgl files there.

Lastly, does anyone else have the same or similar problems ?

Regards,

Rhett
Rhett

Re: Landclass and/or vector conflicts - FTX OpenLC EU & Vect

Post by Rhett » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Hi again,

Still really looking forward to some feedback from the developers on this one. Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I have done all the time consuming work figuring out which file is corrupting the vector coastline detail as described.

Just looking for a solution from the developer so that Corfu works fully with ORBX FTX. I surely can't be the only person using CORFU with FTX products. If no one else has this problem, it would also be great to know.

Please note I have all the FTX products installed for Europe including: Global, vector, openLC EU and pilots 2010 mesh designed for FTX global. I do not have any other mesh or land class or similar software installed. Only FTX and Corfu.

Thanks

Rhett
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Hi there, apologies for the delay.
To be honest, I am not sure I get this completely :)

Corfu is 100% covered in photoreal textures, and our vectors are customised to match exactly that photoreal
terrain.

What your images show is pure landclass; so is a different part of the terrain, i.e. not Corfu that has a vector problem? or do you not see photoreal Corfu terrain at all?
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi Emilios,

Thanks for the reply. The appearance of the Corfu island itself is perfect. The photoreal and vector details appear 100% for the island and airport. The problem is with the coastline vector detail on the mainland (i.e. to the east of the island) when the Corfu scenery is enabled/activated. Something contained in the file "cvx_corfu_island.bgl" is causing this. I have no idea what it is, but I am 100% sure of it.

I know that this file has some terrain information as this is the file that you updated to include the two missing islands to the south (Paxos etc.). Both the original and the updated version does the same thing. Something in this file is corrupting or removing the coastline vector detail in the area around Corfu island but not the island itself. As I am not a developer, I do not know what exactly is contained in the file.

Thanks and regards,
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 am

Ok got it, thanks.
In that case, if you can take a top down view of the area it would be great; just need to see how far this extends to.

If this is contained to a small area then I m pretty sure it's unavoidable, as part of necessary vector re-shaping in the area. Corfu shorelines are very close to mainland and some default (i.e. non-scenery) vector 'clipping' was necessary. If the issue is more extensive though. then it's smth wrong in the setup, will figure out from screens.

also bear in mind that when re-creating shorelines, we've no idea where default/FTX/etc.. shore is defined, so we always follow satellite images, meaning that the shoreline you got there is likely to be much more accurate than any other vector definition.
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 am

Hi Emilios,

Great. I have captured the necessary top down screenshots showing the affected area as requested.

The following screenshot shows the affected area of coastline vector detail when the CORFU scenery is activated/installed. i.e. from LAT N40 deg 19.54' down to LAT N39 deg 1.12'. It seems to be quite a large area.
Corfu Affected Area (Coastline Vector Detail).jpg
Corfu Affected Area (Coastline Vector Detail).jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 12719 times
I honestly do not think that this problem is a problem of vector accuracy. It definitely seems to be a conflict / corruption / incompatibility problem. I have taken a few screen shots that might help you see what the Corfu scenery is doing to the FTX Vector "default" scenery.

Here is a photos of the coastline WITHOUT Corfu_LC activated (i.e. FTX Vector "default"):
20160921155215_1.jpg
20160921155215_1.jpg (339.97 KiB) Viewed 12719 times
Here is the exact same view when Corfu_LC is activated:
20160921155102_1.jpg
20160921155102_1.jpg (338.08 KiB) Viewed 12719 times
Here is another example showing where the Corfu scenery corrupts the FTX vector detail and even removes some small islands:

WITHOUT Corfu_LC activated (i.e. FTX Vector "default"):
20160921155553_1.jpg
20160921155553_1.jpg (378.57 KiB) Viewed 12719 times
Here is the exact same view when Corfu_LC is activated:
20160921155754_1.jpg
20160921155754_1.jpg (345.76 KiB) Viewed 12719 times
I hope this information and the screenshots will help identify the problem. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:19 am

Hi Emilios,

I trust you are well.

Any news on this problem?

Kind regards,

Rhett
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:35 am

yes sorry for the lack of contact; working on it.
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:46 pm

Apologies for the delay; still cannot seem to find the conflict here, perhaps my setup is quite different (i.e. ftx packages installed).

Please bear with me, as I have reached out to ftx vector guys, who definitely know much more than i do.
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:18 am

Thanks Emilios. Much appreciated. Would suggest Holger Sandman as I had some interaction with him on this issue. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions about my setup.

Kind regards,
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:11 am

Hi Emilios,

I decided to experiment a little to try and assist in identifying which scenery clash is causing the problem.

I created a new Curfu_LC_CVX folder (with its own \scenery folder within it), i.e. :

... \FSX\FlyTampa\Corfu_LC_CVX\Scenery

Into this folder I moved the file : "cvx_corfu_island.BGL" (which is the file I originally identified as the culprit).

I then experimented by placing this Corfu_LC_CVX scenery entry at different entry points relative to the various ORBX scenery files.

I discovered that the ORBX scenery entries which clash with the Corfu scenery (or vice versa) are: "\FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_CVX" and "\FSX\ORBX\FTX_VECTOR\FTX_VECTOR_EXX". This seems to make sense as I had always suspected that the problem related to a clash of vector data.

Analysis:

If I place the Corfu_LC_CVX scenery entry below both FTX_VECTOR_CVX and FTX_VECTOR_EXX, then the mainland coastline looks correct and the Corfu island scenery is not correct (i.e. steep cliffs at the waters edge with building suspended in the air on the northerly approach). See below.
20161118135647_1.jpg
20161118135647_1.jpg (291.46 KiB) Viewed 12066 times
20161118140129_1.jpg
20161118140129_1.jpg (389.08 KiB) Viewed 12066 times
If I place the Corfu_LC_CVX scenery entry between FTX_VECTOR_CVX and FTX_VECTOR_EXX, then the mainland coastline looks half correct (i.e. coast line edge detail is visible but with some water areas between the coastline edge and the mainland in various places) and the Corfu island scenery is still not correct (same steep cliffs at the waters edge with building suspended in the air on the northerly approach). See below. (I did not repeat the screenshot of the Corfu island as it looks the same as above).
20161118135801_1.jpg
20161118135801_1.jpg (293.13 KiB) Viewed 12066 times
If I place the Corfu_LC_CVX scenery entry above both FTX_VECTOR_CVX and FTX_VECTOR_EXX then the mainland coastline looks totally incorrect (complete loss of coastline edge vector detail with very straight edges) and the Corfu island scenery is perfect. See below.
20161118135920_1.jpg
20161118135920_1.jpg (290.58 KiB) Viewed 12066 times
20161118140019_1.jpg
20161118140019_1.jpg (405.35 KiB) Viewed 12066 times
So some vector detail/data in the file "cvx_corfu_island.BGL" is corrupting the ORBX vector detail on the mainland.

Is it not possible for you to provide vector detail in the file "cvx_corfu_island.BGL" for the Corfu island only and leave out the mainland (which can be left to the ORBX vector data)?

Did you have any luck with any ORBX developers ?

I hope this can help you !

Kind regards,

Rhett
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:29 am

Hi Rhett, thanks for the detailed 'experiment' :) makes sense.
I have had received a great deal of help from Holger, and now working with his files to come up with a solution that can work best with FTX. It's a pretty 'tough' spot with Corfu shorelines being very close to mainland and unavoidably they are affected, but can be fixed; will have it soon.
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:48 am

Awesome. That is really great news Emilios. I assume then that you managed to replicate the problems I am experiencing. Looking forward to the fix. Really appreciated.

Kind regards,

Rhett
Rhett

Post by Rhett » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:12 am

Hi Emilios,

Compliments of the season to you.

I have no doubt you have been fully occupied with your new Amsterdam EHAM project release which so far sounds amazing from what I have seen on YouTube etc. - as to be expected from FlyTampa. Hence I have held off following up on the progress with the Corfu fix for FTX Vector.

Any news on the imminent fix?

Yours in appreciation!

Rhett.