Board index » FlyTampa » FlyTampa-Corfu

coolerfireman112 (Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:42 pm)

Good evening,

in XP11 the buildings are floating.

Nevertheless I already disabled Runway follows terrain via "1302 flatten 1" but it didn´t help.

Regards
Kevin
2018-04-06_00-41.png
2018-04-06_00-41.png (3.68 MiB) Viewed 2541 times
Last edited by coolerfireman112 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 emilios[flytampa] (Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:51 pm)

Site Admin | Posts: 754 | Location: London, UK
Hi Kevin,

The whole airport is built on sloped terrain, to accommodate the sloped runway, so if you flatten the airport, the buildings will float above terrain.

did the buildings already float, after you started XPlane, without doing anything else?
do you have this option below checked?

option.JPG
option.JPG (11.04 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
 coolerfireman112 (Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm)

Hi Emilios,

thanks for your quick response.

Yes, the buildings where floating upon initial XPlane bootup without changing something in apt.dat and with Runway follows terrain activated.

Nevertheless I was able to fix it right now the following way:

1) Initial XPlane bootup: -> Floating problems
2) Deactivate Runway follows terrain in XPlane menue
3) Restart XPlane
4) Activate Runway follows terrain in XPlane menue
5) Restart XPlane
6) Now everything works fine

Thanks for your help and heads up for upcomming X-Plane Sceneries. You are doing a great job, the XPlane community is waiting for your brilliant work!

Regards
Kevin
 emilios[flytampa] (Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:12 pm)

thanks for the kind words, and for posting the fix, its good to know :)

I have this issue, just to be clear the scenery will only work if the runway contours option is TICKED?
 emilios[flytampa] (Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:57 pm)

sidfadc wrote:I have this issue, just to be clear the scenery will only work if the runway contours option is TICKED?

yes that's correct. 3D models are built on the sloped terrain

Hmmm isn’t this a configuration issue flying online with say Vatsim because it’s recommended to have flat runways? I could be wrong.
 emilios[flytampa] (Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:34 pm)

i like to think that all flyers will use our mesh so there will be no elevation conflicts :)
but either way, if it becomes an issue we ll create an optional flat airport to match the elevation of stock LGKR

emilios[flytampa] wrote:i like to think that all flyers will use our mesh so there will be no elevation conflicts :)
but either way, if it becomes an issue we ll create an optional flat airport to match the elevation of stock LGKR

Hi Emilios
That would be nice, because when i have these option ticked, i have problems with much airports.

Thank you :)

Same opinion as Beikirch :wink:
I hope for a solution,
Thanks
 emilios[flytampa] (Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:46 pm)

we are working on a 'flat' version too; should be included in out first update

Thank you :)

Thank you very much :)
 emilios[flytampa] (Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:53 pm)

After working on it a bit more, it appears less and less possible to get a flat version of Corfu.
If you really must use flat terrain, then a temporary solution is to tick 'runway follows terrain contours' mid-flight and reload scenery (no need to exit XPlane for that).

**update: we now have a solution for Ortho4XP users, check here: http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12063

I will explain :

When we 'flatten' an airport, either by WED, or by force-flattening command from XP settings, airport areas become flat. The extent of the flattening is roughly defined/calculated by XP, based on airport location and runway length (perhaps other parameters too). To better define the airport area, WED/XP offer the option to add airport boundaries.

However, unlike FSX/P3D, the XPlane boundary is only useful when we need to extend the airport area further beyond the area that XP pre-defines for us. In other words, a flatten command will flatten everything within a 500m radius around airport runways, ignoring our custom boundaries-we basically have no control over what happens within that airport area once the flatten command is given.

For LGKR, this would not only mean flat runways, but will also mean a flat scenery in a large area surrounding the airport, destroying custom mesh, cliffs, slopes etc..

In larger airfields, surroundings being flat is no problem (they usually are anyway), but a 'flat airport' would mean a 100% flat and boring layout without elevated runways, underground bridges, taxiway bridges crossing highways, and other features we are now able to push in XPlane to make an airport look as it is in reality.