What settings have most impact on VAS?

WebMaximus

What settings have most impact on VAS?

Post by WebMaximus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:56 pm

I just did my first flight into Copenhagen in P3Dv2.5 and the scenery is really beautiful but it was a scary approach because my free VAS was pending between 200-300 MB all the way down and taxi into the gate. Luckily I never got a OOM but looking at the free VAS it must have been very close.

I was looking through the various options in the FlyTampa Configurator, what options in there have the most impact on VAS so I know what to uncheck. Looking at the description for most of the options it only mentions performance impact but I guess that is more related to FPS rather than free VAS?

Would really appreciate some tips on what options to untick to free up some VAS without sacrificing any details that still won't give me any more free VAS (the performance looking at the FPS was all good).
WebMaximus

Re: What settings have most impact on VAS?

Post by WebMaximus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:59 am

Are there any developers in here or are you supposed to rather send a support ticket?

Also, does someone know if there's any way to be notified when you receive an answer to a post in here, can't find such an option?
johanfrc

Post by johanfrc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:28 am

Give them some time. 12 hours aren't a long time, so give them a day or 2. Usually Emilios will answer within that timeframe, or maybe someone else will :)
jpost

Post by jpost » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:24 am

If you look at the topic called Toronto Release Notes in the Toronto Sub-forum, I would suspect many of the same settings and guidance would also apply to EKCH. Just guessing, but maybe worth a try. It does highlight specific Configurator settings having the most impact.
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:11 am

WebMaximus wrote:I just did my first flight into Copenhagen in P3Dv2.5 and the scenery is really beautiful but it was a scary approach because my free VAS was pending between 200-300 MB all the way down and taxi into the gate. Luckily I never got a OOM but looking at the free VAS it must have been very close.

I was looking through the various options in the FlyTampa Configurator, what options in there have the most impact on VAS so I know what to uncheck. Looking at the description for most of the options it only mentions performance impact but I guess that is more related to FPS rather than free VAS?

Would really appreciate some tips on what options to untick to free up some VAS without sacrificing any details that still won't give me any more free VAS (the performance looking at the FPS was all good).
To keep most detail in the airport, like you suggested, LOD radius is possibly the best solution to reduce VAS.
Second solution is autogen density. Also remember, if you select the 'autogen vegetation' option in the Flytampa Scenery config tool, you will be able to reduce tree density in Copenhagen area, which will cut off some of VAS load. Custom tree density is always 'fixed' which means full VAS load regardless of the autogen slider setting.

For those with FTXglobal, the 'autogen trees' option should be visually equal to our custom trees anyway.

Now, from the Scen. config. tool, the following options would be the most VAS intensive.

1. Apron detail
2. 3D grass
WebMaximus

Post by WebMaximus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:43 pm

Many thanks Emilios, will play around with the settings you suggest.

And sorry if my last port came out wrong, wasn't meant in a bad way but an honest question since I'm fairly new in here and wasn't sure how often you guys visit these forums.

Have a great weekend!

P.S Would be really great to have a chance to subscribe to forum topics you're interested in D.S
robains

Post by robains » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi Emilios,

I seem to be having a few issues with P3D v2.5 (12944) ...

1. "3D Grass" not checked, I'm still seeing "3D Grass".

2. Scenery Configurator - Parking Vehicle density - none of the radio buttons are selected on entry, if I select "Off" then exit, then launch Scenery Configurator again my selection is not shown (all radio buttons have no selection).

3. Consistent and repeatable OOM (regardless of scenery settings or graphics settings) when departing rwy 04 R ... about 0.5 nm over the water after takeoff. If I use a different runway for departure (or landing), no issue with OOM. Monitoring my VAS usage, I can be at 3.1GB on RWY 04 and just after wheels leave the ground I'll be at 3.7GB and then a 0.5nm over water OOM. So the takeoff is consuming 900MB of VAS ... I'm not really sure why? If I uninstall Copenhagen and use default Orbx FTX Global openLC then no issues with VAS.

Frame rate with the 1.1 update is really good, no stutters and locks at 30 FPS even with the NGX and ASN.

Any hints welcome.

Cheers, Rob.
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:05 pm

robains wrote:Hi Emilios,

I seem to be having a few issues with P3D v2.5 (12944) ...

1. "3D Grass" not checked, I'm still seeing "3D Grass".

2. Scenery Configurator - Parking Vehicle density - none of the radio buttons are selected on entry, if I select "Off" then exit, then launch Scenery Configurator again my selection is not shown (all radio buttons have no selection).

3. Consistent and repeatable OOM (regardless of scenery settings or graphics settings) when departing rwy 04 R ... about 0.5 nm over the water after takeoff. If I use a different runway for departure (or landing), no issue with OOM. Monitoring my VAS usage, I can be at 3.1GB on RWY 04 and just after wheels leave the ground I'll be at 3.7GB and then a 0.5nm over water OOM. So the takeoff is consuming 900MB of VAS ... I'm not really sure why? If I uninstall Copenhagen and use default Orbx FTX Global openLC then no issues with VAS.

Frame rate with the 1.1 update is really good, no stutters and locks at 30 FPS even with the NGX and ASN.

Any hints welcome.

Cheers, Rob.
Hey Rob,

not sure about 3D grass, do you mean you still see the grass 'box', or do you still actually see the grass threads? the 3D grass option in the panel would refer to the grass threads themselves.

Parking vehicle density issue means a mix-up of the following files:

-vehiclesPark_dense
-vehiclesPark_low

can you tell me their 'extension'? is it .bgl, or is it .off, or is any of those missing ?

Do you also mean that you started getting OOMs out of a sudden whereas you previously didn't?