FS9 hangs at CYUL

NicolasCYOW

FS9 hangs at CYUL

Post by NicolasCYOW » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:04 am

George/Martin:

First of all, congratulations on CYUL, it looks really nice. Great job, I fly through CYUL often and I can say it's spot on. However, I'm afraid that FS9 hangs (not a CTD!) when at CYUL, something that I've (unfortunately) been able to replicate quite a few times, and right now it's only really happening if I'm on 06L (spent some time at a gate and didn't happen). So, indeed, it just hangs, and this is what Event Observer calls it, i.e., it doesn't attribute to a specific module (like FE.dll, for example). Also using Level-D 767 and AS6. I've had FE.dll-type errors before, but this is the first time that I can remember where FS9 actually just hangs. Only way out is Task Manager.

I'm using FS9 on an iMac (yes, that's right), but on a Bootcamp partition running Windows 7; this is an i5 with 4GB RAM and a Radeon HD 6750M. I've never had any issues running FS9 on this system even though it's a glorified laptop, so I'm grateful... In addition to the Level-D 767 and AS6, I use a variety of add-on aircraft and sceneries, including your LOWW and Aerosoft's EDDF, EGLL, LFPG, a few ImagineSim sceneries, as well as dense AI, without any issues (I do have FPS limited to 24), and FPS only drop to, say, 15 in dense 512x512 clouds (I'm running AS6 at 256x256, which is fine by me).

Now, I'm not saying this is a CYUL issue (AS6 appears to hang simultaneously, but that could be because FS9 hangs and the connection's lost or something like that), but I can't see anything else for now because it's the only new element in the picture.

Grateful if you could look into it as I'm looking forward to fly to/from CYUL. Or I guess I could take the hint, buy a new computer and embrace FSX...

Regards,

Nicolas
Benncpp15

Re: FS9 hangs at CYUL

Post by Benncpp15 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Try it without AI or AS6.
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Does the freeze happen after a certain amount of time? Its just when you start at 06. Can you start at a gate & still use 06?
Your system should be great for FS9. Pre-FSX a i5 CPU would have been a supercomputer :)
Maybe its heat related. CPU temps okay? Cooling fans screaming for more air?
NicolasCYOW

Post by NicolasCYOW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks. I've tried it starting at a gate and/or without AS6 and it doesn't *seem* to hang. Haven't tried without AI as that's entirely a manual install (individual BGLs) so would be complicated.

One thing I did was to deactivate another CYUL that I had in FS9.cfg and that I somehow missed even after looking a few times. This probably means that there were duplicate AFCADs. Not sure if that was part of the issue.

But the plot thickens. One other thing that happens and that I think points to GPU and/or heat issues is that at some point or under certain conditions (e.g., at night or with anything but blue skies), user aircraft *and* AI aircraft textures disappear, with FS9 hanging shortly thereafter. Never saw that before. I use a lot of add-ons sceneries, and your CYUL doesn't strike me as one that's much more complex than others, so I'm not sure why FS9 hangs with - of all the add-ons that I have - your CYUL and not with any other scenery (like Aerosoft's EDDF with iFly 737, full AI and AS6, which still runs at 24 FPS or so).

I'll see if I can note temperatures and report.

Regards,

Nicolas
Menemeth

Post by Menemeth » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 am

NicolasCYOW wrote:One thing I did was to deactivate another CYUL that I had in FS9.cfg and that I somehow missed even after looking a few times. This probably means that there were duplicate AFCADs. Not sure if that was part of the issue.
Is the above comment a typo? Why would CYUL be in your fs9.cfg file? :?
NicolasCYOW

Post by NicolasCYOW » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am

Doesn't it belong in FS9.cfg? That's what I read on the interwebs... :wink:

No, I meant FS9.exe of course. :wink:

No, really meant scenery.cfg, BluePrint's CYUL was still there, not that removing it has helped. Also, trying to update GPU drivers but virtually impossible on this machine for some reason (Catalyst installer says I have no GPU... Thanks for that tremendously useful piece of information, Catalyst installer).

No, where do I download more RAM? :wink:
NicolasCYOW

Post by NicolasCYOW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

George/Martin:

After some more tests, I increasingly believe that there's got to be something with CYUL that my computer doesn't like. For instance, I'm running FS9 under analogous conditions (night, Level-D 767, AS6, UT Europe or UT Canada as applicable, full AI) at Aerosoft's EDDF and EGLL (not small sceneries) without any issues. Both EDDF and EGLL load in about 70 seconds, while CYUL takes 110 seconds (about 60 percent more time). And then at CYUL aircraft textures disappear and FS9 hangs, but none of that at EDDF nor EGLL. FPS strangely identical though (at 23.9 - I've got it limited at 24), when I can measure it that is.

Plus, at CYUL, memory usage seems to go through the roof (that is to say, increase until such time as the application hangs); could something be causing a memory leak? No 3d terrain nor animated vehicles (I had installed those at first but removed them thinking they were the culprits), and stock runway lights.

Regards,

Nicolas
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:00 am

I honestly don't know. But my best guess is your video card is a bottleneck. CPU is excellent. Sorry its not good news.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.p ... n+HD+6750M

Have you tried removing the 3d grass too? Run it without AI & see if it crashed.
NicolasCYOW

Post by NicolasCYOW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 am

Well, I decided to see whether AI might have anything to do with it, and narrowed it down to recently-installed AI, and specifically two or three small airlines from Quebec that fly to CYUL (and that I had installed in anticipation of getting CYUL). Sure enough, one of the aircraft had bad textures, i.e., what was in the texture was the FSX textures. I swapped those for the FS9-compatible DXT3 textures. No more hanging (or at least not yet), I mistakenly left FS9 running at CYUL for four or five hours yesterday and it was still there when I came back. That particular aircraft was parked near the ex-Aveos facility, on the side that one can see from 06L, hence FS9 hanging when the user aircraft was in view of that area.

Thanks for your help - issue was on my end after all.
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 am

phew, good job fixing it.
tomcatsky

Post by tomcatsky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm open the case because the same thing happened to me, but error still appears when I'm approaching to scenery 10 nm distance at NIGHT
Ok. what I done so far, reinstall and switch-off the all AI traffic, before FlyMontreal stops on any addon planes after one circle ( take-off/land , even DAY ). Now after reinstalation and switching off AI, I did some test at DAY and make few rounds with PMDG 747, without FE.dll error. I so happy that try a long distance flight from FlyTampa Seattle to FlyTampa Montreal, and after I reached about 10 miles from the airport - FS9 stops with FE.dll error :(. So please help, I don't know where I should search, + an extra info : landing was prepared in night conditions, building looks from a distance like lightbrown blocks....:(
OS Win7 /Dell Optiplex 755
Memory set to make an best conditions for using at games.
FS9.1
Flying PMDG 747 / extra addons REX Overide / FSGLobal / FSPassengers / AI all OFF
FlyTampaMontreal 1.2

Regards
Art Szopa
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 pm

How much system ram do you have? What video card?
Installed the fs9.1 patch?
Low on hard drive space?

Could be a low memory issue, although those must be rare in fs9.

tomcatsky wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm open the case because the same thing happened to me, but error still appears when I'm approaching to scenery 10 nm distance at NIGHT
Ok. what I done so far, reinstall and switch-off the all AI traffic, before FlyMontreal stops on any addon planes after one circle ( take-off/land , even DAY ). Now after reinstalation and switching off AI, I did some test at DAY and make few rounds with PMDG 747, without FE.dll error. I so happy that try a long distance flight from FlyTampa Seattle to FlyTampa Montreal, and after I reached about 10 miles from the airport - FS9 stops with FE.dll error :(. So please help, I don't know where I should search, + an extra info : landing was prepared in night conditions, building looks from a distance like lightbrown blocks....:(
OS Win7 /Dell Optiplex 755
Memory set to make an best conditions for using at games.
FS9.1
Flying PMDG 747 / extra addons REX Overide / FSGLobal / FSPassengers / AI all OFF
FlyTampaMontreal 1.2

Regards
Art Szopa
tomcatsky

Post by tomcatsky » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi George,
Thanks for quick response, some data :

ATIRadeon2400
4 GB
Do you mean patch for incrase memory ? or upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1 - if upgrade yes it's upgraded to 9.1 standards.
Two Harddrives, on FS partition is about 400 GB free diskspace, system has about 200 GB free
Processor IntelCoreDuo E8400 3GHz
I have memory issues because I didn't change default RAM settings - error comments with no sufficient memory but it was in past.
Now setting are set for an optimalization for RAM 4983/9966 without such an errors. I will tested it at DAY operation maybe from nearest airport, about an hour away.

add comment : Test done, NIGHT : few touch&goes and two flights from CYMX to CYUL without FSPassengers and with FSPassengers ON, nothing happened, textures were perfect. What I noticed : when I change view from vc to outisde airplane, for a very short time I saw ( X ) where was an runway lightninig, also when I choose Montreal from cities I have two of them one CYUL and another ZYUL ( as FLYTampaMontreal ) is this correct ?

Regards
Art
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Great, at least you got it going. The Xs are normal & should vanish after a split second. ZYUL is normal, its actually what makes the 3d Tunnel possible.

Your Videocard might be a little weaker if it only has 256mb. Montreal is a FSX scenery with a lot of textures so it might struggle a bit with loading.