vl1

Re: Low FPS in FS2004

Post by vl1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:56 pm

thanx, but the problem is AT THE APRON FACING THE TERMINAL 30-50m
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 pm

I know, but I can't do anything about that. The terminal, jetways and static clutter need to all be visible from that distance and the only way to "fix" it would have been to make simpler models and less details.

Here i get around 50 fps looking at the terminal up close in FS9 with a corei7 (first gen) and NV460gtx. Both pieces of hardware are over 2 years old.
eparot

Post by eparot » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Do you use LOD technic for Terminal / Jetways ?
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 pm

eparot wrote:Do you use LOD technic for Terminal / Jetways ?
No and I don't see the point nowadays. A modern NV or ATI gfx card can handle insane amounts of poly counts. Last time LOD models made a difference for me was 5+ years ago, when polycounts in view were the main thing to worry about.

Proper LOD 3D models like detail-levels 1-4 etc... that is an extra amount of workload I gave up on long ago. Especially when it is mainly for the benefit of FS9 running on older hardware. In FSX I see little benefit, the main chunk of performance goes away because of legacy ground polygons, the rest is 1% in comparison (if you were to delete all 3D BGLs in dubai, perf impact = negligible)
vl1

Post by vl1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:46 pm

eparot wrote:Do you use LOD technic for Terminal / Jetways ?
That is my EXACT question!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is why older systems (dual/quad-cores) have this fps issue!
even though i have a new and expensive graphics card!

you should use poly/lod, because many simmers have dual/quad core systems, which i cannot really call old ones.
it's a benefit for everyone! you will attract more clients, who will know that fps is ok, despite anything.

p.s. this is what my friend said about your dubai scenery, exactly about lod/poly:
"how can one be sitting on the ramp @DXB and see Dubai Marina??? It's completely insane!!!"
He said it is not even because of CONSTANT MIST at Dubai, but because its some dozen kilometres away!

Think about it. Concerning Sheikh Zayed Road / Marina issue - LOD / POLY thing IS A MUST!!!
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:11 am

I always develop on a system that is about 1-3 years behind the current state of the art. I am currently 2 generations behind Intel with a 1st gen I7 and a NV460GTX while NV is currently in the 6XX series.

The same applies to other sceneries I made. For example Hong Kong was developed I think on a E8500 dual core and a NV 9800GT. That was also not state of the art at the time of release. The point is I am able to performance-test the products in a way that they will run fine on a CPU that at the time of release should cost less then $200. Same for the GFX card, less then $200.

I am however reluctant, not to say completely unwilling, to develop for even older systems. My goal with FlyTampa has always been to keep pushing what is possible and make the best looking products for its time. If I go the route of pleasing users with old hardware, we would end up seeing a completely different type of product, certainly less attractive for me.

I am still supporting FS9 (as stated in another recent thread here), however I would hope the hardware it is being run on is not as old as FS9 itself. If that is what the FS9 market is becoming... we're likely not going to support it for much longer.

Have a look at this post to see what performance I get in FSx-FlyDubai with 2,5 year old hardware.
http://flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 771#p38970

A similar test running FS9 on the same hardware posted below. As you can see, FS9 cannot handle High Poly scenes nearly as well as FSX. At the same time we develop for FSX and convert "down" to FS9 without putting weeks or months of extra work into the FS9 version. This is likely to stay that way, only other option for me would be to cease FS9 support altogether.
Attachments
omdb-perf-fs9.jpg
omdb-perf-fs9.jpg (367.77 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
edetroit

Post by edetroit » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:57 am

martin[flytampa] wrote: ..... only other option for me would be to cease FS9 support altogether.
Please no Martin......we really need your skills!
WingZ

Post by WingZ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:24 am

I thought I should mention that I have no problem, using an FS9 2.4Ghz Core2 machine!

What this should tell you, is that there is nothing intrinsically causing loss of performance in this scenery.

What may very well be happening is interference from a legacy installation, or texture, or just a bad setting in a particular FS9.cfg

I see 20fps here, if I clear weather settings it goes up; lose the traffic, maybe 26fps

Whatever, I'm impressed with the level of support shown in this forum.
Please continue to develop for FS9, exactly the way you have been doing.
edetroit

Post by edetroit » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 am

Gorgeous shot Wingz! ...I have to get my Ai up to your standard.
Airberliner

Post by Airberliner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:46 am

Hallo,

same Problem. When I look to the terminal ,the FPS get down to 25 FPS with the standard Cessna. That is not enough :? So when I use a complex aircraft and I am on final approach, the FPS fall to 17 FPS.
I use a high end system:
i3930K 4,6 GHz
HD 6900 Serie
16 GB RAM
WIN 7 64 BIT

where is the problem and what can I do??????
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:00 am

Out of curiosity, I installed and loaded our FS9 HongKong VHHX for comparison.

It runs almost exactly the same as OMDB here (default FS9.1, no AI or other Addons installed).

If anyone getting low fps at FS9 Dubai could compare it to our Hong Kong that would be helpful.

If the performance is indeed similar (like it is for me) I don't see whats the problem. A 2012 Dubai running similar to a 2008 release and in 2008 there were little or no such complaints? Perhaps the hardware degraded since 2008?
Attachments
vhhx.jpg
vhhx.jpg (485.99 KiB) Viewed 7710 times
heliosair

Post by heliosair » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:25 am

I noticed something else.. i have FSX but maybe the same things happening in FS9. If u have AES and it comes alive and working i have 5FPS loss.
Swag

Post by Swag » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:49 am

Hi,

first let me express how great that Dubai scenery looks but more importantly how impressed I am with customer service on these forums! :)

See the comparison shots. 22.3 FPS in the Dubai one versus 44.1 in the Hong Kong one.

If I slew out a little further in the Dubai shot so that the jetbridges disappear (I've installed your modified files) I gain only one FPS or so, so that's not really the problem.

FS9.1 with no AI and no weather.

My machine:
Core 2 E8600 3.33 GHz (single-core performance still only about 30% to at most 50% slower than current top of the range)
Radeon HD 6850, 1 GB (2 years old, 2229 in the PassMark benchmark - not amazing but no lemon either)
6 GB RAM
Dubai.jpg
Dubai.jpg (67.51 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
HongKong.jpg
HongKong.jpg (83.56 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
Now what's really weird is this. Compare the following two shots. One is taken at the runway 30L end and the other a bit further down the runway. One is 38.2 FPS and the other is a mere 20.0 FPS. Where did those 18 FPS go? I can't spot any detailed object that would justify a 50% performance drop.

Edit: Even when I turn off all the bells&whistles in the Catalyst Control Center there is still a massive difference in performance. Then it's ~45 for Fast.jpg and ~30 for Slow.jpg. If I reduce the size of the FS9 window then it's ~55 for Fast.jpg vs. ~35 for Slow.jpg. This seems to suggest to me that the difference is not 2D Filter related (AA,AF etc.) but polygon count related, but I'm no graphics card expert and may well be wrong.
Fast.jpg
Fast.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
Slow.jpg
Slow.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
vl1

Post by vl1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:24 pm

i completely agree with everything said here and again as WE ALL see it is something wrong with the terminals polys.

and for the record martin, on your screenshots YOU DO NOT USE AI!!!
See the difference between your screen and that of wingZ! It''s a huge difference for the sim and cpu.