v4 CTD During Approach--3D Grass Off

maggussje

Re: v4 CTD During Approach--3D Grass Off

Post by maggussje » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:58 am

George,

Thank you very much for this! If needed, I'd be glad to support your team in finding a solution.

Cheers
CaptainNodrog

Post by CaptainNodrog » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:51 pm

George and Maggussje,

Out of interest I disabled the Rwy06*bgl files and re-ran my saved night flight in the PMDG 737 to 03R. P3D didn't crash. I enabled the Rwy06*bgl files and re-ran the same saved flight - P3D crashed as the aircraft was just over the coast, same as previous times.

Good to get to the core of the issue - thanks.
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Nice. Thanks for letting us know CaptNodrog
maggussje

Post by maggussje » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 am

George,

As you just showed in another thread in this forum, you didn't understand what is going on here, unfortunately.
(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10302&p=57518#p57518)

Nothing is fixed for Athens, CaptainNodrog didn't state that the problem is fixed for him, he just shared the very same observation I made: disabling your patch-files for Rwy06* (and for the time being and as a precaution, also for Rwy21*) prevent the CTD for Athens at night. The files I'm referring to are the ones from the FT v4 patch and therefore needed to see the respective approach lights.

And I can't agree with your statement in the other thread that the PMDG planes make P3D fragile or whatever. I reproduced the problem plenty of times with the F22 (see screenshots I posted before).

May I, please, ask you again to look into this with your devs?

Thank you
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 pm

I guess you guys never made it clear there's still a problem.

Anyway, I've attached new lights for all runways. Delete/replace the old ones first. Especially anything labeled with Rwy06. Please let me know if this fixes it. No CTDs my end.

Animated strobes don't work anymore but Athens & Montreal are due a big P3D4 update after Boston.
Attachments
Lights_ath.zip
(25.49 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
NBouc

Post by NBouc » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:29 pm

George,

Having the same CTD problem as mentioned in this thread, I tried your new approach lights (lights_ath.zip) at dusk and at night, with the default BE58 and PMDG 777 (3D Grass OFF).

The good news: no more CTD.

The bad news: The new approach lights only become visible at 1/2 nm on final on all 4 runways (on 03L, that is just over the VOR). Even then, they are so small and dimmed that they are very hard to distinguish (they don't glow like the touchdown lights). The dots are smaller than the stars in the sky. I fly with a zoom of .80 in VC.

Contrary to popular belief, size does matter ;-)
maggussje

Post by maggussje » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:24 am

george[flytampa] wrote:I guess you guys never made it clear there's still a problem.
Maggussje: "If needed, I'd be glad to support your team in finding a solution."

CaptainNodrog: "Good to get to the core of the issue - thanks."

We were, in fact, clear that only disabling the newer version of the lights, which were explicitly supposed to work in v4, "fixed" the CTD and that the issue hasn't been resolved so far.

Be that as it may, however, I'm really thankful that you guys came up with a possible fix, I'll try it out as soon as I can and will post my findings here.

Thank you
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 am

NBouc wrote:George,

Having the same CTD problem as mentioned in this thread, I tried your new approach lights (lights_ath.zip) at dusk and at night, with the default BE58 and PMDG 777 (3D Grass OFF).

The good news: no more CTD.

The bad news: The new approach lights only become visible at 1/2 nm on final on all 4 runways (on 03L, that is just over the VOR). Even then, they are so small and dimmed that they are very hard to distinguish (they don't glow like the touchdown lights). The dots are smaller than the stars in the sky. I fly with a zoom of .80 in VC.

Contrary to popular belief, size does matter ;-)

Could you post a screenshot please?
This is how it should look..
Attachments
ath_night.jpg
ath_night.jpg (210.08 KiB) Viewed 2938 times
NBouc

Post by NBouc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:18 am

george[flytampa] wrote:
George, here's how the approach lights look on my computer. I tried with re-installing the libraries and deleting the shaders, but with the same result.
Attachments
Taken about 1/2 nm final 03R
Taken about 1/2 nm final 03R
Athens02.jpg (99 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Taken about 1nm final 03R
Taken about 1nm final 03R
Athens01.jpg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 am

NBouc wrote:
george[flytampa] wrote:
George, here's how the approach lights look on my computer. I tried with re-installing the libraries and deleting the shaders, but with the same result.
Thanks for the shots.

It looks like the lights are completely missing. The smaller lights you can see are just the night textures on the approach light poles.

Check again you installed the files from within lights_ath.zip into your Athens\scenery folder.
NBouc

Post by NBouc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:41 pm

george[flytampa] wrote: It looks like the lights are completely missing. The smaller lights you can see are just the night textures on the approach light poles.

Check again you installed the files from within lights_ath.zip into your Athens\scenery folder.
George, the files from "lights_ath.zip" are present in the Athens/Scenery folder alright (dated Aug. 28, 2017). Just to make sure I didn't have any errant or missing files, I uninstalled and re-installed Athens completely, then applied the Athens Prepar3Dv4 patch, deleted the 4 "*-papi.bgl" files, removed the 4 "*apprlights.bgl (dated May 30th, 2017) and copied the 4 new "*apprlights.bgl" files from the "lights_ath.zip" into the scenery folder.

Still no approach lights visible, which defies logic since the required BGLs are there. I have 126 files in the Athens/Scenery folder, and 445 in the Texture folder.

I am kind of lost here ... they should display. Athens is currently at the top priority layer in the scenery library, just above its _LC.
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:28 pm

NBouc wrote:
george[flytampa] wrote: It looks like the lights are completely missing. The smaller lights you can see are just the night textures on the approach light poles.

George, the files from "lights_ath.zip" are present in the Athens/Scenery folder alright (dated Aug. 28, 2017). Just to make sure I didn't have any errant or missing files, I uninstalled and re-installed Athens completely, then applied the Athens Prepar3Dv4 patch, deleted the 4 "*-papi.bgl" files, removed the 4 "*apprlights.bgl (dated May 30th, 2017) and copied the 4 new "*apprlights.bgl" files from the "lights_ath.zip" into the scenery folder.

Still no approach lights visible, which defies logic since the required BGLs are there. I have 126 files in the Athens/Scenery folder, and 445 in the Texture folder.

I am kind of lost here ... they should display. Athens is currently at the top priority layer in the scenery library, just above its _LC.

Thanks NBouc. My fault; I screwed up some code & was working from the wrong Athens build.
Download Lights_ath.zip again & you should have working lights.
NBouc

Post by NBouc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 pm

george[flytampa] wrote: Thanks NBouc. My fault; I screwed up some code & was working from the wrong Athens build.
Download Lights_ath.zip again & you should have working lights.
Thank you George, it works. I now have approach lights at both ends of the runways and no CTD. I am a happy camper :-)
maggussje

Post by maggussje » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:56 am

George,

Again, thank you for your efforts. I put the latest files into the scenery folder, tried to load LGAV (active runway) at night and got a CTD even before I spawned there. With the initial patch this sometimes happened as well, before I got rid of the app lights and sometimes P3D let me start the sim but crashed within a few minutes.

So unfortunately, the issue hasn't been resolved for me, I deleted the new files and haven't had a CTD for almost an hour now.

Cheers