Mipmaps at Kai Tak

rooster

Mipmaps at Kai Tak

Post by rooster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am

Hi All

Ever since I purchased Kai Tak I've always had that terrible ground texture flicker. I love this airport but am put off flying to it for this reason. I do use GE Pro and AS. Now someone said in another forum that its to do with mips and indeed you gentlemen produced a mipmap fix for shimmering ground textures at Seattle that works to perfection. Now I may be way off here as I'm not so tech minded but is it not possible to produce the same thing for VHHX as you did for KSEA.

Thanks for listening and best regards.

Malcolm "Rooster" Hancock
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Newer sceneries like HongKong already have the mipmapped textures by default. You can load them up in Microsoft's ImageTool to see yourself.

The solution to the shimmering you're seeing in this case must be some setting within FS or the Gfx drivers.
rooster

Post by rooster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 am

Martin thanks for your reply. I'm sorry but I cant remember where I read this but this guy said that the mips needed to be removed and that would stop the shimmering. Like I said I'm not tech minded but this rings no bells with you? What would happen if you did this as far as your concerned?

Thanks

"Rooster"
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Seems backwards, removing Mips is what causes the shimmering. The mipmap patches for the older sceneries add mips, not remove them.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're getting.
rooster

Post by rooster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:10 am

Sorry Martin I've never done a screenshot so don't know how. Told you I was getting on and not tech minded :D . I will try to explain as best I can.

The flicker starts on approach to R13 and it covers the water, airport apron, taxiways and runway. The best that I can desribe what I'm seeing is like a bad texture bleed through coming in and out at speed causing this major flicker. This does not happen when departing the airport only on long haul inbounds.

Thank you so much for your continued support Martin, I appreciate it and would love to get my Kai Tak working properly.

Regards

"Rooster"
Acezboy

Post by Acezboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:42 am

Hey Rooster,
Do you use Directx10? Also you have YMML for orbx right, did you ever get that fixed and could that be a possible factor?
rooster

Post by rooster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 am

Hi Acezboy

Yes I do have YMML from Orbx but not flown to it until you mentioned it, so, I tried to select it from the airport menue and I get a CTD with no reason why. Can you tell me more about this and what direction to go in to sort this please.

Thanks and regards

"Rooster"
paavo

Re: Mipmaps at Kai Tak

Post by paavo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 am

rooster wrote:Hi All

Ever since I purchased Kai Tak I've always had that terrible ground texture flicker. I love this airport but am put off flying to it for this reason. I do use GE Pro and AS. Now someone said in another forum that its to do with mips and indeed you gentlemen produced a mipmap fix for shimmering ground textures at Seattle that works to perfection. Now I may be way off here as I'm not so tech minded but is it not possible to produce the same thing for VHHX as you did for KSEA.

Thanks for listening and best regards.

Malcolm "Rooster" Hancock
I seem to remember that AA in FSX with an Nvidia card doesn't work unless you use Nhancer.
Do you have an Nvidia card, and if so are you using Nhancer ?
rooster

Post by rooster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am

Ok a little update here. First my apologies to Acezboy what I said earlier was incorrect I have the "VOZ complete" inc Melbourne not the Orbx and thats what I was referring to. I do have an Nvidia 9800GT and I am running Nhancer but MY setup is FS9 not FSX. I'm also running GE Pro and FE. Please keep the input coming gentlemen.

Many thanks

"Rooster"
paavo

Post by paavo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:17 pm

rooster wrote:Ok a little update here. First my apologies to Acezboy what I said earlier was incorrect I have the "VOZ complete" inc Melbourne not the Orbx and thats what I was referring to. I do have an Nvidia 9800GT and I am running Nhancer but MY setup is FS9 not FSX. I'm also running GE Pro and FE. Please keep the input coming gentlemen.

Many thanks

"Rooster"
Find FSX in Nhancer and override the settings, then set AA as high as your machine can handle and see if that helps.
I can always tell if AA is working just by the plane in the select a plane when you start FSX. Rotate the plane around and if you see lots of jaggies, then AA is not working or is set too low.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:05 pm

rooster wrote:...but MY setup is FS9 not FSX.
paavo wrote:Find FSX in Nhancer and override the settings
Bot malfunction.

c:\reboot.exe -paavo -sleep:8h -fullreset
Last edited by martin[flytampa] on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:09 pm

rooster wrote:The flicker starts on approach to R13 and it covers the water, airport apron, taxiways and runway. The best that I can desribe what I'm seeing is like a bad texture bleed through coming in and out at speed causing this major
Sounds like it could be something else.

Go into Addon Scenery/FlyTampa-HongKong/scenery/

and delete the file: _hk_water.bgl
paavo

Post by paavo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:50 pm

martin[flytampa] wrote:
rooster wrote:...but MY setup is FS9 not FSX.
paavo wrote:Find FSX in Nhancer and override the settings
Bot malfunction.

c:\reboot.exe -paavo -sleep:8h -fullreset
That is what I get for being sick and waking up early, falling back asleep then waking up and posting more.
I should lay around and watch football
rooster

Post by rooster » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:24 am

Hi Martin

Well we seem to be getting there! I did as you said and deleated the water bgl and the flicker has stopped on the water. It is still there but its now restricted to the airport apron, taxiways and runway. Any further adjustments you can think of Sir?

Thanks

"Rooster"