just learning but can anyone give me info on vor dme RWY 9

flightsimmer747

just learning but can anyone give me info on vor dme RWY 9

Post by flightsimmer747 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:35 am

What happens in very bad weather is the airport just closed, flight cancelled, or can this vor dme approach take you all the way in, in very bad weather?

What heading and frequency is needed to fly the approach.

Thanks
skydvdan

Re: just learning but can anyone give me info on vor dme RWY

Post by skydvdan » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:47 am

flightsimmer747 wrote:What happens in very bad weather is the airport just closed, flight cancelled, or can this vor dme approach take you all the way in, in very bad weather?

What heading and frequency is needed to fly the approach.

Thanks
All approaches have minimums that must be followed. That's where the Cat I,II,III ils came from. :wink:
OSS-J.Nielsen

Post by OSS-J.Nielsen » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:47 am

Here's a link to the VOR Approach Plate taken from VATSIM's Carribean page.

http://www.sjucerap.org/downloads/TNCM_VORDME09.pdf

The VATSIM Pilot Resource Center also has great stuff for learning to fly approaches.

I understand there also is GPS approach, but you probably need a Jepp's subscription to get that chart.

Note the final approach course, 096 is offfset 3 degrees from the RWY centerline.

I'm not IFR rated in the real world, but it looks to me, from my simming IFR experience, that when not vectored by approach control:

1. You fly the full procedure to the St Maarten VOR (PJM 113.0) and do 1 entry and 1 hold, thence, fly outbound on the PJM 318 radial for 7NM.
2. Fly a DME ARC 9 NM until intercepting the PJM 096 radial at 7NM DME at 2200';
3. I think the 7NM is where you need to be able to have a visual on the airport for a legal approach (can't remember)
4. NOTE: The missed procedure is before the RWY threshold, not after. This is not a circle to land either.

With ATC there are a few waypoints at which they will start stepping you down at, then vector for the final approach course; visual RWY 09 APPR.

Hope that helps, I could use a little VOR brush up myself instead of using VNav all the time...LOL.
flightsimmer747

Post by flightsimmer747 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:22 am

great thanks, I'll do it when the weather asks for it.
VulcanB2

Post by VulcanB2 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:33 am

Looks like a great little approach for brushing up on instrument flying!

Best regards,
Vulcan.