FSX specs recommendations

marcusnyberg

FSX specs recommendations

Post by marcusnyberg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 am

Hey!

I'm about to get a new computer and I know this is probably a stupid question with alot of different answers and aspects to but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on just a few regards.

I'll buy a iMac, mostly cause thats what I've been using for lots of years and works good in my profession, so it's a matter of small details regarding that computer.
The specifications for that computer is

3,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost upp till 3,9 GHz
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2 x 8 GB (up to 32 GB, guess I don't need that?)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M med 4 GB GDDR5

Would that even make a Flytampa scenery with plenty of AI and a decent aircraft work smoothly?
I have the option to add a flash drive ssd instead of normal harddrive, but that is a way more expensive option.

So my question is really if the set up is good enough? Will a flash drive make all the difference in the world? If it would I would consider that but if not I rather use the money for something else though my line of work doesn't really require that.

Hope someone could help me out,
And to Flytampa, I'm your biggest fan (thats why I ask this here so your scenery will work:) )
marcusnyberg

Re: FSX specs recommendations

Post by marcusnyberg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 am

Oh before someone might say that FSX doesnt run on Mac, Apple has something called Bootcamp which allows you to have windows as well as OSX so I can shift to windows for FSX and spend the rest of my time in OSX.
Lude2Envy

Post by Lude2Envy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:31 pm

It would run ok probably, but the best performance for FSX is going to come from an unlocked Core i5 or i7 that can be overclocked. Clock speed is everything in FSX and you're not going to be able to overclock with a Mac. You could put together a much better system for less money if you build your own.
marcusnyberg

Post by marcusnyberg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:06 am

Yes, I assumed I would probably get away cheaper and with a better computer if I don't chose an iMac.
However it fits me very well for work which is its main purpose.

I thought i5 was the older version and that the i7 was better in its "original" state as well?

I guess the SSD doesnt really make a huge difference then?
Benncpp15

Post by Benncpp15 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 am

Apple are such a rip off.

You can get faster for much less.
marvic

Post by marvic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Benncpp15 wrote:Apple are such a rip off.

You can get faster for much less.
That statement is ridiculous. If you know anything about supply and demand, you will know that the whole PC computer sales are driven buy crap programs from Windows and therefore flood the market making it cheaper than MAC, not better.

Gee, I wonder how many versions of Windows 8 will come out to make it run. Now that's ripoff.................
Benncpp15

Post by Benncpp15 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 pm

I never said PCs are all perfect. Sure windows sucks & lots of PCs are tacky crap.

But, there are lots of good PCs that completely outclass Apple's entire range for Hardware, Software, Quality & Value.
Apple are just a designer name for sheep & middle aged women. The innovation is long dead.
marvic

Post by marvic » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:19 pm

I can only reply to that with "Your funny, obviously you have your OPINION, good luck with that.
Lude2Envy

Post by Lude2Envy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Macs are good computers. Especially Macbooks....I would take one any day over a PC. But iMac's upgrade potential, and therefore longevity, definitely lack compared to PCs. Windows 8 is currently garbage, but Windows 7 x64 is one of the finest operating systems ever made and will continue to be for quite some time. The only difference between the i5 and i7 is hyper-threading......which is useless unless you do work with video encoding. For me personally, it'll always be Macbooks for my portable/work and custom built PCs for my desktop/gaming/simming.
marcusnyberg

Post by marcusnyberg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 am

yeah i realize that a pc on the paper is smarter money wise than a mac,
but ever since i switched to apple there has never been any problems at all, no viruses, no malfunctioning programs (except microsoft word, funny enough) and the computers I have had has been working since day one til the day i upgrade for faster version.

i start to get the feeling however that P3D V2 is a better choice to wait for then to try to get a computer that works for FSX, or is that a missunderstanding? on the threads i read i get the feeling P3D is better at using the computer strength than FSX.