hard airports to land at

Dillon

Post by Dillon » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:32 pm

I've found the most difficult airport for real world and sim airliners to land at would be KMDW. When you get cleared for say 4R for example you know it's going to be fun (in contrast it would be sweaty palms if your in the real world with a 737 wrapped around you). There have been a few mishaps at KMDW which enforces the fact it's a pretty tricky ride down with the goal of stopping in time (before the runway runs out). The next one would have to be KBUR. Now that's an adventure especially with the terrain around the airport and the short runways... :wink:

On a side note I am so glade Martin did KMDW because this airport is one really fun field to fly in and out of. It almost feels like it shouldn't be there right smack in the middle of such a dense urban area. One of the few jewels left from the early era of aviation. KMDW is one of those airports that most cities would have closed down because it was originally built for a time long gone. Just like Kai Tak it's one of those airports that should never close for the shire uniqueness of the place... 8)
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 pm

here you know what? ill make a movie about fly tampa st maarten right now and ill do this later.
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:46 pm

yankeesfan12 wrote:im going to make a topic and see if my AI traffic will work there, etc then if everything works out i will get it :)
Save yourself the work...AI won't work.
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:19 pm

i have fraps :wink:
Ruahrc

Post by Ruahrc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:08 am

Innsbruck LOWI is a fun approach, quite difficult too, if you follow the chart. Try it at night, when you see the daylight you'll be surprised you snuck your aircraft down in amongst the rocks :)

Don't forget KSAN's approach over the parking lot. Not super hard but fun, especially with Flytampa's scenery.

there are also some good ones in the Greek Islands. Samui I think is a very well known example. There is a scenery for it too I think.

Lastly, Gibraltar Airport is also quite a challenge due to the airspace restrictions around the field. Fly the approach according to the chart and it is a good excercise too.

Ruahrc
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:26 am

ok. i tried getting lukla so i made account. but i realized my AI traffic will not work at it. so ill look at yours
Icarus

Post by Icarus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Aspen constitutes some kind of a challenge...
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:10 am

ya but i have fsx so i cant run KMDW. sorry martin. i can run kai tak