hard airports to land at

yankeesfan12

hard airports to land at

Post by yankeesfan12 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:13 pm

hey,
what do you guys think the top 5 hardest airports to land at are? im going to make a movie on it. this is my list. id like to hear your comments :D also no lukla. fsx doesnt have good scenery for it. unless one of you guys can find one for fsx? that would be great!
5. madeira
4. toctonicin
3. TNCM
2. SBRJ
1. Kai Tak
thank you
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Telluride

Eagle County (the widow maker approach)

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0802/06403LDAD25.PDF

Toncontin

http://latte.com/mhtg.pdf

Tegucigalpa is the capital city of Honduras. The international airport there is one of extreme interest because of its difficult approach and because of its surprisingly short runway. There are many unknown facts about this airport. Toncontín International Airport is more commonly known as Tegucigalpa airport. Tegucigalpa is actually a misnomer in the essence that the airport is actually located in Tegucigalpa’s sister city, Comayaguela. The runway at TGU is only 6,132 ft (1869 m) long. The airport was built on a plateau in the city. Tegucigalpa itself is situated in a basin between several tall mountains. This unique location allows for some spectacular approaches and interesting landings. The approach into TGU is breathtaking. Up until a few years ago there used to be a small hill some 200 ft (60 m) from the runway. Planes used to have to fly low, ascend the mountain, and descend into TGU. That hill was bulldozed during the early 1990’s. Now the approach into TGU is just as interesting and not as dangerous. An airplane landing at runway 01 at TGU must circle inside the basin below the mountaintops. It is very interesting to look up at the wing and still see trees and mountains while being banked the other way. After it circles the basin it has only 100-200 ft (30-60 m) to line up before the runway. Because of the short runway as soon as the plane crosses the fence separating the airport property and the highway, it must make contact. The runway has a “displaced threshold” leaving only 5,436 ft (1657 m) of useable landing runway. That short runway, coupled with a 1.06º downhill slope on runway 01, allows for little braking time. Almost every single landing and takeoff at TGU interrupts the flow of traffic along Boulevard hacia Loarque. There are two traffic lights on either side of the runway that stop traffic whenever an airplane takes off and lands. They do not normally stop traffic for small Cessna’s or other small propeller planes; however, for jets and turbo-props traffic is stopped. The reason traffic is stopped is because of how low the aircraft must get to the ground on approach to TGU. They didn’t always stop traffic though. It wasn’t until a few years ago when a jet struck a passenger bus on approach that they finally added the traffic lights. There is only a 4 ft (1,2 m) tall fence separating the traffic from the runway.
paavo

Post by paavo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Lukla
Courchevel
skydvdan

Re: hard airports to land at

Post by skydvdan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 pm

yankeesfan12 wrote: also no lukla. fsx doesnt have good scenery for it.

Are you kidding? Look here.
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:51 am

ok thank you. im going to try to scrap up some money to get that. :D
aarskringspier

Post by aarskringspier » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:46 am

I wish some one would make a great KEGE.
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

aarskringspier wrote:I wish some one would make a great KEGE.
Eagle County would be cool.
OSS-J.Nielsen

Post by OSS-J.Nielsen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 pm

I thought there was a freeware EGE at Avsim a while ago. I think I installed it on my system. At work now, but I'll check the library.

Edit: It's there, but quite a bit dated now...lol. Man out of the loop for a while in the sim I guess, at least since the last time I flew EGE in the sim. :?
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:35 pm

there is. search it. i just did and a lot of scenery's came up for fs2004
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:38 pm

yankeesfan12 wrote:there is. search it. i just did and a lot of scenery's came up for fs2004
But you wanted FSX, correct?
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:48 pm

i dont know if im going to get Lukla. im saving that money for PMDG 747 x and fly the 717. i mean the only companies i trust to download product form is fly tampa and my traffic. but if www.pcaviator.com get lukla then i will deffinatly get it.
_Dre_

Post by _Dre_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:29 am

Do you trust Aerosoft? It is after all their scenery, so buy it from there if you trust them enough.

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ib ... 4814597870
yankeesfan12

Post by yankeesfan12 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:17 pm

im going to make a topic and see if my AI traffic will work there, etc then if everything works out i will get it :)
Silverbud

Post by Silverbud » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:31 pm

with a slope like this and how 'long' is the runway, Courchevel is considerated as one of the hardest airport to land on, even with small aircrafts.

just amazing. also the location is great, the view is awesome, and the small 'old style' houses called : chalets are just really cute =)
Last edited by Silverbud on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.