Should airports count?

FlySanJose

Should airports count?

Post by FlySanJose » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:28 am

This was discussed among my friends not too long ago, so I ask you...

If you have a layover in say, Dallas or Chicago or wherever, would you count that as having visited that state? Or would you say that you must be outside the airport grounds to qualify as having visited that state?

When I was little, my family had a connection in Chicago, and I always counted Illinois as a state that I have been to, even though it was just for 2 hours in the airport. Should it count?
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:24 am

The answer to this will be worth a nobel prize.
me4mvp

Post by me4mvp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 am

I dont think it counts, because your not physiccaly touching the ground.
deltaboeing84

Post by deltaboeing84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:01 am

What are you doing then, levitating??? It counts. Your in the that state. Your on the ground. Just because you don't go out and eat at McDonnelds somewhere, doesn't mean your not in "That state," or "That City." At least I think it counts.

It's like when you go on vacation, driving that is, and you drive through lets say Oklahoma and Arkansas, but your destination is Texas, you can say that you have been in those states, because, Technically, you have.

Now flying is different. I don't think flying over states counts. My 2 cents.
OSS-J.Nielsen

Post by OSS-J.Nielsen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Haha, this is a good one!

I'd say...if he was coming through Kansas City (KMCI)...AND...had lunch at the Gates BBQ in the terminal...then I'd give it to him. :P
n797mx

Post by n797mx » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:49 pm

That's like saying that if you've flown over a state that it counts, so no!
paavo

Post by paavo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:27 pm

me4mvp wrote:I dont think it counts, because your not physiccaly touching the ground.
I think that is what Larry Craig tried to say.
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:37 pm

I have to say it counts. That's like if you are flying to Russia and your layover is in Frankfurt. So you stay there for four hours.... where the hell are you in freakin' limbo land? No, you are in Germany. And, chances are you will get parked in a spot that you'll have you get onto a bus to get to your terminal so there, you're touching the ground as you board the bus. My personal opinion is yes it counts whether you physically touch the actual ground or not. But I have to draw the line at flyovers... they don't count.
Last edited by skydvdan on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deltaboeing84

Post by deltaboeing84 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:13 pm

Fly overs don't count. But when you land, get off the plane and do whatever you do when you get off planes, then yes, you are in that city. Where else would you be?
FlySanJose

Post by FlySanJose » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:18 pm

I wonder if there are any legal matters like that movie, The Terminal. The movie stressed that he wasnt technically in NY as long as he was in the terminal.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:33 am

FlySanJose wrote:I wonder if there are any legal matters like that movie, The Terminal. The movie stressed that he wasnt technically in NY as long as he was in the terminal.
Legally it maybe limbo-land with international layovers because in most countries the international terminals are isolated. If you fly to Russia over Frankfurt, even if you change airline in Frankfurt, you will never pass German immigration.

One exception is the US, which is a pain for some international travelers because you must pass immigration no matter what. Worst I ever witnessed was a east-eurpoean lady being sent back home in Madrid because her Iberia flight to the Dom-Republic had a layover in Puerto Rico. She didn't need a Visa for her destination, but would have needed a US Visa for the layover.

Generally I would agree it counts, but the formulation "I visited the place" is a bit far fetched. Just like most wouldn't say they went to Disney Land, if all they ever did was pick someone up on Disney's parking lot.
Last edited by martin[flytampa] on Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverbud

Post by Silverbud » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:30 am

legally it depend if you are in an international flight or not.

If you are on a international flight that stop for refuling and that you stay in the part of the airport for international flight without passing the border ( showing your passport ) legally you didn t put your feet on the ' state ground'. But if you pass the border you are 'in' the state.

hope this help