GAME OVER for detailed airport ground ? UPDATE 5

paavo

Re: FSX Flatten for Fly Tampa Airports

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:28 pm

brianwinton wrote:Where can I find this FSX Flatten file? Or is it somthing I would have to create?
You would have to make that and an exclude yourself.
If that would allow Fly Tampa Airports to work in FSX, I'm surprised you haven't created a patch for all your customers.
Only Martin can answer that, but I think his post above gives good insight as to why that hasn't happened.
brianwinton

Re: FSX Flatten for Fly Tampa Airports

Post by brianwinton » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:05 am

How can I make an FSX flatten file for your airports and an exclude myslef?

If I can have the knowledge to make such files my self, I'll do so for every fly tampa airport and make them public so while you guys debate over how "tired" you guys are of your "old" sceneries, the rest of us can enjoy what you already have.

We all know how boring and lifeless flightsim feels without those fantasic airports in them any longer.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:19 am

Sensing some bad vibes here. Please understand: For me to release FSX updates, they have to be good & complete updates, not tucked together attempts to milk old cows. To get that done, a lot more then flattens and excludes are needed. Every single BGL has to be edited or re-written and recompiled for FSX. If you don't believe it, ask one of the many developers who have had the "FSX update when available" sign on their frontdoors (not referring to Vauchez in particular). I never said that our stuff would run in FSX.

To answer your question: Flattens & excludes you can create with this method: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=FSX_KML

But like I said, that may at best make some airports semi-usable at daytime with rendering problems all over.

My advice: If you want your old FS9 Addons, run them in FS9. FSX is better served with its own/new set of Addons.
brianwinton

New Addons

Post by brianwinton » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:49 am

So do you ever plan to make a New San Diego for FSX?
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Re: New Addons

Post by martin[flytampa] » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:40 am

brianwinton wrote:So do you ever plan to make a New San Diego for FSX?
Yes, from the existing airports we covered, KTPA and KSAN are the 2 I would consider doing again from ground up.
paavo

Post by paavo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:53 pm

If you don't believe it, ask one of the many developers who have had the "FSX update when available" sign on their frontdoors
I think Vancouver + for fsx is a perfect example, they are only giving a $3.60 discount for people that own Vancouver + for fs9.
chatman

Re: Communicate with FlightScenery

Post by chatman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:31 am

[quote="martin[flytampa]"
I would love to provide you free updates as I did in the past FS2002->2004, but this time around the effort required is hard to justify... And I don't like the idea of charging money for updates that "look" the same but perform worse then before.[/quote]

Well I would pay for an upgrade (LOWW in this case). Maybe not the whole price as for the original release but I would! Simply because your sceneries make such a difference!

The question is: is it easier to start from scratch rather to make the existing sceneries compatible? And if so are you considering that?

The point is: MS will not revert the procss of Scenery evolution so sooner or later designers will have to accept the facts and start working with what they got.

Martin
sddjd

Re: New Addons

Post by sddjd » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:05 pm

martin[flytampa] wrote:
brianwinton wrote:So do you ever plan to make a New San Diego for FSX?
Yes, from the existing airports we covered, KTPA and KSAN are the 2 I would consider doing again from ground up.
Glad to hear that… I’d love to see KSAN in FSX! For the record, I’m one who would gladly pay full retail for FSX versions of scenery done at this (your products’) level. I’m sure such a suggestion will draw fire, but I doubt any fs9 users expected a discount on FSX; if you guys have to start from scratch it’s not an upgrade but rather a new product. Count my $$ in if you’re ever up to the rebuild! 8)
Dimon

Post by Dimon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:31 am

Martin,

I hope that we will continue to create FS2004 stuff for a long time.
deltaboeing84

Post by deltaboeing84 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:40 pm

...as do I. FS9 has done wonders for me, specially now that i have an awesome graphics card. keep up the good work guys, hate to see it end :-(
psykie

Post by psykie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Oh hey: I would definatelly pay full price for built from scratch airport scenery for FSX that you may have already have made for FS9.

I'm telling you. You guys do great sceneries.

Would love to see Midway, San Diego, and have you ever considerd Orange County John Wayne Airport? Great little airport.

Matthew
Paul J

Post by Paul J » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:21 pm

Well, Martin: George - I want to just to try and add somthing positive here, if I may: I have been running FSX since the day it was released, stopped for about four weeks in January because I no longer had my FS9 favourite aircraft - and then - as they slowly began to dribble in - I started using it again. SP1 came out and the rest is history. Yes - I HAD to UPGRADE THE HARDWARE TO THE C2D, etc, and yes, I use Matt Fox's tweaks - but with ASX and Ultimate Terrain X out now - I am right back in heaven. It is VASTLY SUPERIOR to FS9. I consciously had to accept that I don't have the DreamFleet 727, FS Nav and FS Passengers anymore, and I don't have your fabulous sceneries: the difference is the aircraft's "feel", and the amount of detail that is now there: the airports are better and far better detailed; the visuals on approaches and in low flying are getting pretty real: for my airline flights I now use the Eaglesoft Citation II and do regional flights (using VoxATC/TrackIR, homebuilt yoke, pedestal and pedals). Aerosoft brought out Aspen - and this is a great challenge for an IFR flight. I'm looking forward to the ski season, as this is one of the most dangerous airports around! Approaching Aspen (7800') over a 14,000' mountain, blind with only LNAV is pretty harrowing.

I suppose I'm trying to convey a couple of things here: There is lots of room for many, many airports which don't have to have the complication of, say SEA or ORD. They are all over the place and each is quite personal to many flyers. You guys have a tremendous following in the community, and whatever you do will sell, whether FS9 or FSX. But FSX is the future.
The second point is that as the single-core proc slowly gives way to the ever-cheapening c2d, the more "us flyers" will migrate to FSX. It's barely been a year, and, if I'm VERY satisfied, I would believe there are also thousands of other simmers who are likewise satisfied. That hardware upgrade is the one major stumbling block for most people - but it has to be overcome, because if not - the developers who stay with FS9 will slowly disappear along with the customer base.

I would not want you to let go of your wonderful talents because of the nostalgia for FS9 and the disappointment and difficulties brought about by FSX. There will be a market for FS9 products for a while yet, but there are new opportunities here, and - forgive me - I want you to be moving forward with new and different products/ideas for FSX. It's the future.

To quote Field of Dreams, 1989 "Build it and they will come" :)

Best wishes

pj
deltaboeing84

Post by deltaboeing84 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:43 pm

The problem with that is that the people who cant afford to upgrade will stop buying. Im one of them. Its not like upgrading FS02' to FS04'.
Paul J

Post by Paul J » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:11 am

True: I understand and sympathize with you, db, and this is what will extend the life of FS9. Nevertheless it still holds true that as "new and better" comes along the "old or obsolescent" will slowly disappear - just like your favorite car. These memories slowly fade. People talk about :"the good old days" all the time: in reality they weren't the good old days; they were days just like today. We "couldn't afford to upgrade" for FS2000, for FS98, for XP. Upgrading is change - like a new car, house, town, school, job. It's an in-built resistance to change which we have, and moving to FSX is one such similar case: if you become so motivated - you will find a way to upgrade.

In my experience, db - flyers are the greatest dreamers; their heads are always in the clouds; we don't give up flying easily; we may back off for a while but the dreams always bring us back.

Hang in there. Sooner or later you will get what you're now missing, and if Martin and George build it - we will all come.

Regards,

pj

ASUS P5B; C2D E6600 oc @ 3.2gig; ATI Radeon X1950XTX; 2gig OCZ PC2-8000 Platinum; Gateway 21" @ 1680x1050 $1500 Canadian
Homebuilt yoke and pedals, throttle quadrant and 6-pack thrust levers + TRackIR4, VoxATC - no blurries and good for another year. . .