GAME OVER for detailed airport ground ? UPDATE 5

MartinHughes

Post by MartinHughes » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:37 am

martin[flytampa] wrote:
MartinHughes wrote:Dontcha love progress? 8)
...Progress, there are dev shots of FSX under DX10. I was quite surprised to see how simple the wireframe terrain and other features really are under the hood.

http://blogs.msdn.com/photos/phil_taylo ... ginal.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/photos/phil_taylo ... ginal.aspx
Is it all done with bump and displacement mapping then?
paavo

Re: Communicate with FlightScenery

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:21 am

brianwinton wrote:Flight Zone sceneries are of equal quality to Fly Tampa yet they have figured out how to make their sceneries work in FSX. Why don't you simply communicate with them to discover their methoods?
http://www.flightscenery.com/

Flying in FSX isn't even worth it to me without your sceneries anymore.
Flying fsx isn't worth it, period. I have the same feeling as George, in fact I haven't touched flight sim in over a month except to test one thing. The thread you are thinking about at flightscenery concerning Portland in fsx has only user posts in it, nothing from Vauchez. I think this thread http://www.flightscenery.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=902 gives you a good idea as to the state of flightscenery. Look around the forums some more and you will see that flighscenery has been left out to pasture, the small issues with Portland don't get fixed, in fact Vauchez doesn't even answer them, but at the same time he posts at the forums for the scarebus. I think Martin deserves a big thank you for continuing to provide excellent and very prompt customer service, something that is very lacking in the payware add on market.
B777ER

Post by B777ER » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:28 am

My intrest in FS is the same as before..high. BUT that is because I am still with FS9 with all the tons of goodies I have installed in it. Tweaking days are long gone. I just know fly, fly and fly some more. The only time I get into tweaking is when adding new scenery into FS9 and tweaking the scenery.cfg.
_Dre_

Post by _Dre_ » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Paavo I'm trying to decipher what you mean by "scarebus". If you are referring to the airliner xp product; do u mean it's so good it's scary, or did you notice something really wrong with it.
paavo

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:03 pm

_Dre_ wrote:Paavo I'm trying to decipher what you mean by "scarebus". If you are referring to the airliner xp product; do u mean it's so good it's scary, or did you notice something really wrong with it.
You've never heard an Airbus called a scarebus ?
It has nothing to do with the airliner xp product, it's just another name for an Airbus, allthough duke nukem might be out before airliner xp.
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:10 pm

_Dre_ wrote:Paavo I'm trying to decipher what you mean by "scarebus". If you are referring to the airliner xp product; do u mean it's so good it's scary, or did you notice something really wrong with it.
Here's an example of why it's called the scarebus. The plane overrode the pilots inputs and crashed. Scary!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5756092337
paavo

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:19 pm

Boeings nickname is The Lazy B, if you've ever been inside one of their plants you'll know why.
paavo

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:26 pm

B777ER wrote:My intrest in FS is the same as before..high. BUT that is because I am still with FS9 with all the tons of goodies I have installed in it. Tweaking days are long gone. I just know fly, fly and fly some more. The only time I get into tweaking is when adding new scenery into FS9 and tweaking the scenery.cfg.
I'll get back into FS9, I went through this same thing when fsx came out, didn't touch flight sim for a couple months, seems SP1 has had a similar effect on me.
MartinHughes

Post by MartinHughes » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:11 pm

skydvdan wrote: Here's an example of why it's called the scarebus. The plane overrode the pilots inputs and crashed. Scary!!
Forgive my going off thread very briefly, but if the pilot had gone to TO/GA, surely that wouldn't have happened?

I am a self confessed Boeing fanatic - in fact I am trying to persuade my CPL school to let me do my type rating on a 737, not the A320 - but IMO 'Buses are not inferior (and Bus drivers not inferior pilots)...

Anyway, slewing seamlessly back to the topic...

Whilst the 100mx100m limit on polys is annoying, it is not the end of the world...

I am designing my "local" airport (Nimes Garons) at the moment, and am actually in the process of tending to not bother with full "photoreal" ground polys - just building textures up on different polys rather than having a series of "overall" ground polys.

This avoids having to have a "grid" of 100mx100m ground polys...

Cheers,

Martin
paavo

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:21 pm

MartinHughes wrote:
skydvdan wrote: Here's an example of why it's called the scarebus. The plane overrode the pilots inputs and crashed. Scary!!
Forgive my going off thread very briefly, but if the pilot had gone to TO/GA, surely that wouldn't have happened
It's not that simple,

In the first crash of a new 'Fly-By-Wire' aircraft, the Airbus A320-100 impacted trees while performing a fly-by at an airshow and burst into flames. The crew, and Air France maintenance officials, have all been sentenced to probation for manslaughter; the Captain has been imprisoned. Evidence, including photographs, has now been exposed that an Airbus official at the scene switched the Digital Flight Data Recorder before the court hearing.

Since May 1998, it is proven that the Flight Data Recorder was switched after the accident. The Lausanne Institute of Police Forensic Evidence and Criminology (IPSC) comes to the conclusion that the recorder presented to the Court is NOT the one taken from the aircraft after the accident.

The full narative is here http://www.airdisaster.com/investigatio ... f296.shtml
MartinHughes

Post by MartinHughes » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:59 pm

paavo wrote: It's not that simple
Fair point :D

Having read more about it - things are never as simple as they first appear...

M
paavo

Post by paavo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:21 pm

MartinHughes wrote: I am a self confessed Boeing fanatic

Martin
Next Sunday is the big rollout for the 787, they've had lots of issues ( fastener shortage, workmanship problems with some of the large structures, including the horizontal stabilizer, manufactured by Boeing's partners ), it'll be intersting to see how it all plays out.
MartinHughes

Post by MartinHughes » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:51 pm

paavo wrote: Next Sunday is the big rollout for the 787, they've had lots of issues ( fastener shortage, workmanship problems with some of the large structures, including the horizontal stabilizer, manufactured by Boeing's partners ), it'll be intersting to see how it all plays out.
I know. I will be interested to see if the Airbus clique jump on these problems as a reason why Boeing is inferior to Airbus. I would hope not, given the A380's problems... At the end of the day, any new piece of equipment as technologically advanced as an aircraft (or a new generation "X" flight sim :wink: ) will have problems in the design/rollout phases... Boeing/Airbus, they are essentially trying to achieve the same thing. Personally, I just prefer to fly my aircraft with feedback to the control column and no alpha protection :D

787 SP1 should have ironed out most of the problems :wink:

Can't say I like the flight deck though. :?

We're drifting OT - slowly but surely :D :D
brianwinton

FSX Flatten for Fly Tampa Airports

Post by brianwinton » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Where can I find this FSX Flatten file? Or is it somthing I would have to create?

If that would allow Fly Tampa Airports to work in FSX, I'm surprised you haven't created a patch for all your customers.