GAME OVER for detailed airport ground ? UPDATE 5

OSS-J.Nielsen

Post by OSS-J.Nielsen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:37 am

I'm not arguing with you personally, sorry if you got that impression, nor do I want to give you the impression that you are giving false statements.
That's between you and PAAVO. I'm just trying to put some perspective to the whole issue.

The topic goes a bit deeper then what you ware refering to, I'm afraid.

I'm definatly no expert either, as compared to others, I've jsut been fortunate to have been involved in the industry for a few years.

I guess my point is; we have to try and not confuse everyone more then we have to, and some issues-are actually other issues. You have a big mix of people here and there level of knowledge is different as to what they are thinking.

Believe me, I've spent a ton of money on addons myself, even with all the gimmies over the years.

What the industry is trying to accomplish is to get to a point where we have more of an easier standard for everyone (a simpler one), if that makes any sense. Unfortunatly, in this version, it most likely will not solve some major issues when it all shakes out.

As far as your OOM issues, I thought I saw somewhere from Phil that a temp fix was already avail. or one was on the horizon with SP2 and the DX10 upgrade, so if you like FSX, from my memory, go ahead and stick with it. I think the OOM issue was a VISTA problem that they had already indentified or botjh? You should be able to do a search at Avsim on this issue fairly easily as it was recently discussed.

Anyways, I think we've gotten way to deep into the topic where we can actually intelligently discuss it in writing in forums without tangling up to many other thoughts and issues. Don't you just love the internet and forums?
Ruahrc

Post by Ruahrc » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:44 am

I don't use FSX or Vista, my OOM problems are on FS9 and XP. It's either a matter of a scenery causing the error which I am not aware of (I have looked pretty hard at all my installed scenery for errors) or that I have simply maxed FS9 beyond its capabilities, and will need to install fewer addons next time. Or something funky's going on that I can't figure out.

Ruahrc
OSS-J.Nielsen

Post by OSS-J.Nielsen » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:47 am

Ah yeah for FS9, good luck, I'm in the same boat. The general consenses is that it may come from ultimate Terrain somewhere according to their developers or an alussive issue between AIRAC cycles and the actual scenery BGL's. Even the ACES team saw some relationship there, but were never able to positivly identify the problem.
Dimon

Post by Dimon » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:34 pm

I wish you were releasing sceneries, guys, the way you're talking here. :wink:
VulcanB2

Post by VulcanB2 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:44 am

I read the first page then skipped to here. IS the flat-earth to round-earth problem sorted out yet? If not, I think it is a serious oversight on the part of MS. Surely they've got the capability to take a long straight poly and mold it to the curvature of the FS earth? I can't see how you can be expected to create sceneries in gMax or whatever without some idea of to do?

A big problem I've found is creating a large building - in FSX it sits in the middle, or at one end, and is above the ground at the other. How does MS propose that little issue is fixed?! That is what the engine should be doing, not us as designers. :?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
skydvdan

Post by skydvdan » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:25 pm

VulcanB2 wrote:I read the first page then skipped to here. IS the flat-earth to round-earth problem sorted out yet? If not, I think it is a serious oversight on the part of MS. Surely they've got the capability to take a long straight poly and mold it to the curvature of the FS earth? I can't see how you can be expected to create sceneries in gMax or whatever without some idea of to do?

A big problem I've found is creating a large building - in FSX it sits in the middle, or at one end, and is above the ground at the other. How does MS propose that little issue is fixed?! That is what the engine should be doing, not us as designers. :?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
It's kind of been taken care of. But not in a way that's any easier for developers. :?